Wednesday, July 30, 2008

THOUGHT DU JOUR:

TULALIP

PUYLLAP

How would you pronounce these words? They take me back to when I first moved to Los Angeles from Indiana and encountered street names like "SEPULVEDA" and "TUJUNGA." Quickly I learned that "Sep-ul-VEE-duh" was INCORRECT. It is "se-PULL-vi-da" "tuh-JUN-ga" wrong. "tuh-HUN-ga" correct. I've been quite confident over my word mastery for the last decade. Then I moved to Seattle. There are a few gems here too. I want so badly to say, "two-LAH-lip," or "tuuulip" I *think* it is "too-WHAH-lip." Puyllap is still a mystery - I can't begin to wrap any sounds around that one. And while these are cities, not streets, like Sepulveda and Tujunga, they are mentioned on a daily basis here. Yes, this was my thought as my morning coffee was brewing...

I haven't written in so long that I don't know where to start... Instead of writing a book, I thought I'd share a few pictures:

We have baby Seagulls on our roof...

WHALE WATCH 2008!!!




We had some extra time on Friday Harbor, so we took a shuttle over to the annual Lavender Festival - it was gorgeous!! The Chocolate Lavender Ice Cream was so good!!

I've not been able to download Craigo's pictures yet, but here's the one picture from my camera, and a few from Nat's blog (thanks!)...
Our friends Dave, Natalie and Sydney came to visit this past weekend (I could hold and love on "Little" any day/all day!!!). We went to some really great restaurants in town - I'm still on a culinary high from it all...if you're so inclined, I've included the sites to check out!


Me and the girls Thursday night - www.canlis.com (thank you Jess and Alex!!!)

Friday afternoon - www.pesoskitchen.com (this is just down the street from us - one of our local faves)

Friday night - www.howtocookawolf.com This place is also in "our hood." Chef Ethan Stowell was recently voted one of 2008's top chefs by Food & Wine magazine. I loved the feel of this little place - Dave pointed out that they way the room was designed, it looked like we were inside a wine barrel..very cool.

Saturday morning - www.boatstreetkitchen.com Yummy french-country (I think) breakfast here!

Saturday night- we had dinner on our roof! I made halibut cheeks (bought from Pike Place Market that morning), gnocci, and a wonderful roasted beet salad


Sunday - Hi Life - www.chowfoods.com

Dinner that night - Crush www.crushrestaurant.com


And that is my CliffNotes version of our life over the last couple of weeks! :-)

3 comments:

intheelision said...

I'm looking pretty serious at the ole fish stand. That dude had better produce some tasty halibut cheeks--OR ELSE!!

Chicken Legs said...

He seems pretty intimidated... so much so that he was forced to stare at your wife.

Natalie said...

Yea for yummy food and good friends. We had a ball.