Wednesday, August 27, 2008

"It's not rain, really, it's more like 'mist' here," my friend says...

I was in LA a couple of weeks ago, and while there, I found a cute, but sensible, green "weather-proof" jacket. This past Monday, I had the opportunity to test it out. I couldn't stand being in this house one minute longer, and the library up the hill had a book on hold for me (People of the Book). Anyway, due to a lovely case of hives, I hadn't been outside of our apt's four walls since last Thursday. I wasn't quite public-presentable, as my face was still slightly swollen and my lips would have made Angelina Jolie jealous, but I was determined. It was drizzling outside, so I thought.."Oh, this is the Seattle weather everyone talks about-"misty". No biggie – I'll just try out my new jacket!" I set out on my short journey, decked out in the rain-proof jacket and new "non-purse" messenger bag (thanks for the ebags tip, Harji!). Everything was fine…2 blocks up the road, the drizzle picked up. I thought, "Hm..do I wear the messenger bag over or under my jacket? What is the etiquette here? Oh, I'll just keep it over – it's not really raining." ½ mile in…it stops drizzling!!!

And STARTS raining. RAIN. I'm now ½ way to the library and decide to keep trudging uphill – why go back now, right?– I've put my rain-proof hood up and messenger bag now under jacket. I walk up a steep hill, finally making it to the library. I'm now soaked. Jeans are 100% wet – in fact, they've turned an entirely different color! The rain-proof jacket does have its limits, I'm afraid, and the inside was getting damp. Thankfully, it didn't completely seep through, b/c my shirt of choice that day? White t-shirt - whew! BUT – I made it. I definitely had my fair share of "weather," and was now ready to be back INSIDE. Thankfully, Craig was around to whisk me away shortly thereafter, b/c as hard as I tried to look and act comfortable, (well, I had made it there, so I couldn't give up the fight yet, could I? ha!) I was cold down in my bones!!! So we went to a Thai restaurant, and over a steaming cup of jasmine tea and spicy curry, we came to the conclusion that it might do me well to be a little more cautious as I continue to "absorb" life in Seattle. Unless, of course, I invest in an umbrella and rain-proof pants. The fashion statement attached to said pants, however, leaves me with a sneaking suspicion that another tale would ensue…

1 comment:

Natalie said...

Yes the rain proof pants will prove to be a bit much fashion-wise, but really when you're dry, who cares. How about the new bag? Lovin' it?
Nice to have an update to the blog too.