Thursday, June 5, 2008

Hello Seattle!!

After a 2 year long-distance relationship, Craig and I were married May 17th, 2008 in Denver, CO. What a whirlwind month of May - all of our things shipped to Seattle, WA, a beautiful wedding in Denver, fantastic party our friends thew to celebrate, relaxing honeymoon in Napa Valley, back to LA-then San Diego (another lovely day...a picnic to remember...thank you Citywalk family!)- back to LA - one more kickin' party, and away we went. We're up in Seattle now, unpacking bits each day and settling in as best we can.

Our neighborhood is growing on me, but here's how my first 2 days went...


DAY ONE:

1. Almost hit a car as I was leaving our parking garage
b. Then almost hit a girl on a bike
3. Did my hair before leaving the house, and was immediately rained on.
4. Need new clothes and new shoes. Must go shopping ASAP. I look …like I’m from a different planet. No black = No good
5. Trying my best not to cry.

BUT – our place is beautiful, my husband rocks, and I know that these are all just withdrawal symptoms from moving out of Sherman Oaks..:-)


Shortly after I wrote this email, I found something else had happened - A bird POO'D on my HEAD! I took a picture, but I'm still fumbling my way around this world of blogging....
DAY TWO:
This morning I woke up to the sound of seagulls in the background. Much better than being pooped on, like yesterday. I awoke happy and ready to start my day. In fact, we found and unpacked our new coffee pot last night, so this morning was extra delicious! We’re starting to make a dent in our unpacking – it’s looking more and more like the cute place that it is.

One thing to point out, if you haven’t yet heard - Seattle people cannot stand California people. It’s very strange. I don’t understand the division….I’ve never felt that way towards people. Today at the grocery store (it’s across from Craig’s office and has a Starbucks inside), the checker told me that Seattle has wayyy more good to it than California does. We’ll see. After the checker experience, Craig’s co-workers confirmed for me that Seattle people DO NOT like California people.
Um. I’m a California people. I couldn’t not be California if I tried.

TRUTH ALERT – (I tried. I told the guy I was from the Midwest, and spent the last “few” years in LA. Afterward, I felt TERRIBLE and have decided I will NOT EVER again deny my last 11 beautiful, wonderful years in loving California. It is so much a part of who I am, where I’ve been, and who I’ve become. So…sorry California and sorry Renee and sorry to all of you who are reading this. I won’t ever ever again do that! Besides, look at me. I’m TOTALLY from California. NO ONE says “Totally,” “for sure,” or is half as “chipper” as I am-even on a bad day. Couldn’t hide LA if I tried! AND I don’t want to!!!!! Lol!!! )

Last night, we walked to Racha Thai (fantastic thai place around the corner from us). On the way there, we passed a man and a woman, both on the verge of falling apart. They had raggedy faded jeans, missing teeth, sort of dirty and she had a worn, yellowed half-shirt on. Anyway, as we passed them, he was saying to her, “you are soooo beautiful.” It was sweet and sad all at the same time. Then, RIGHT after that, we passed a younger older lady (in her late 40s probably) – thin, again- worn clothes, sort of mousy looking with cheap pink lipstick (looked like a color from an early 80s Avon catalog). She had a thin, cream-colored scarf over her head and big sunglasses (no sun here). Atop the scarf? A pink tiara.
These are my neighbors. What a different flavor from Sherman Oaks!

Oh- and Nine Inch Nails is in concert across the street from Craig’s office next month.

We’ve been wondering what in the world we’re doing here. But – today is day 2, and if I didn’t have these stories, I’d have NOTHING to write about! I'm excited to find what God has in store for us here!! I think..;-)


1 comment:

Matthew Blake Williams said...

oh my, what a bummer of a Day 1! i'm glad things are looking up!

represent SoCal! :)